Let me elaborate a little more on it. College season has come around for me, and I know just as well as anyone that it's not easy...or cheap. It's nerve-racking. There's a lot of uncertainty and a lot of energy that you have to put into it without any guarantees. Here's where a1000x comes in.
Our scholarship(s) will be awarded to deserving student artists who exhibit exceptional artistic talent in 3D art, 2D art, photography, or design. You name it--we want it. It will be a submission-based contest with portfolios juried by a panel of top-notch Hawaii artists from a variety of artistic fields. We are looking for well-rounded artists to award these scholarships too.
Here are the details:
1. There will be three (3) scholarships awarded. Two students will be awarded $2000 scholarships each. One student will be awarded a $5000 scholarship.
2. Applying student must be a high school Senior, or a Freshman or Sophomore at a college, apprenticeship or work program involved with art. For this inaugural year, the program is open to students from Hawaii. We are looking in to opening up the program nationwide, but...it's too hard to tackle that right now.
3. Applying students must submit a portfolio of work of no less than five (5) and no more than ten (10) works. Submissions should NOT be original works of art. Every effort will be made to return submissions but in case of unforeseen circumstances, a1000x will not be responsible for lost portfolios.
4. Applying students must also submit a general application form and an accompanying portfolio form, which will provide titles and descriptions of submitted work.
5. DEADLINE: We will start accepting submissions from November 19, 2012. All submissions must be postmarked by March 29, 2013 to be considered. Submissions can be sent to a1000x.com, 1755 Glen Ave. Wahiawa, HI 96786.
6. Works will be juried by a panel of established Hawaii artists. In the case of more than 30 applicants, judges will make a preliminary selection of the top ten applicants. Scholarships will be awarded to the top three.
7. Judging will be based on portfolio review but will also take into consideration student's application form, including extra-curricular activities, G.P.A. and answers to essay questions. Judges have final determination of winners. a1000x.com and its agents will not participate in judging.
8. Winners will be notified in April 2013 (actual date to determined). Scholarships are cash prizes and may be used for any purpose useful to winners' post-secondary, art-related schooling or training.
9. Winners will be publicly awarded in May.
10. With submission, applicants agree to allow their likeness and work to be used in publicity for the a1000x scholarship program, including, but not limited to, press releases, print articles, television, website, and social media publicity.
Look out for deadline details as we launch the program. Thank you for your support and please help us give a new generation of artists a great start. Jack.